Monday, July 20, 2009

These Happy Golden Years

Yeah, I found a box of my old books and re-read some of them. I hope to look fondly back at these times and forget all of the trying ones. Right now, though I'm working on being patient.

I vowed to myself while I was in Vegas that I would appreciate them more, understand them more, work with them more. They are babies, and I forget sometimes that they are because they are so good and advanced that they are going to have meltdowns. They are going to push their limits. My job is to respond with love, not a meltdown of my own.

Now, I'm SO not perfect, but if I can strive for peace, I can see it in the distance. My children will not be small for very much longer. Maddie is already off to Kindergarten this year and I'm planning for next fall when she's in first grade. FIRST GRADE? I clearly remember first grade like it was yesterday. Cassie was my seat neighbor and always talked to me and got me in trouble. Trevor was a big baby who had to go "potty" every three minutes. Matt Reed was the cute boy who put one hand over his heart and one behind his back while we said the Pledge of Allegiance. ~sigh~ He moved to California and I never got a chance. My dad called my teacher Ms. Lembke Ms. Lumpy and she didn't really like me. The smell of the Paiste in the giant jars (not the taste!), having to scoop it out with sticks and put it on paper towels to carry to our desks.

My daughter will soon have these memories.

I'll catch you, Daddy!



Right now we're working (sort of) diligently on potty training Ben. He's poo'd in the potty three times now, which is a HUGE improvement. But our main issue is now his desire to "be like Tank", my MIL's Yorkie, who "pees outside". Our neighbor has caught Ben three times dropping trow and peeing all over the deck "like Tank". He thinks it's funny. I don't! Maddie would have never thought to pee outside!


Maddie on Father's day, sending a message to Grandpa Don


Maddie spent Saturday at the Zoo with her cousins for her birthday. Her cousin's birthday is 10 days before hers, so it's nice we can do stuff together. She spent the night Friday, zoo'd Saturday, then after church on Sunday went to her friend Nate's house for a few hours. She fell asleep in the car on the way home and didn't wake up until 6 am this morning. Then she climbed in with me and slept 2 more hours! 17 hours!

As for us, we're trying to sell the condo, Ryan is cutting down trees in the back yard and I'm desperately trying to keep up with the housework. It's not going so well, but at least I'm trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers