Monday, May 17, 2010

Invisible


My job as a stay-at-home mom  is to make everything invisible.  The goal is to make it seem like no one lives here.  No dishes on the counter, no clothes in the hamper, no dust on the TV.  No one uses these things.  One person (me) has the job of making our house seem like there are no inhabitants.  I spend the days undoing the signs of our existence, only to have it redone.  WHY? Then I figured it out. 
We DO live here!!
As neat and tidy as I make it, as many hours as I put in scrubbing on my hands and knees, it will never end, I will never have a clean house.  BECAUSE WE LIVE HERE. 
I cleaned the kitchen before a visit from my cousin this weekend and before she came we had to eat lunch.  So immediately there were dishes, crumbs and (eek!) children eating food at the table! They get crumbs on the floor.  They get stains on the chairs.  I could try to put them in bubbles, but they'd just get fingerprints on them.
I have a hard time justifying an hour long task that will be immediately undone as soon as I finish. I get extremely frustrated.  I like to see the results of my hard work.  Knowing it will have to be redone makes me want to not do it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers