Saturday, January 31, 2009

Things I'd like to do for a living...


This is kinda silly, but I'm feeling emotion-ed out and I just want to lighten it up.


I began thinking about this in the hospital, when during the first night there was a baby in the nursery who was so mad. He was doing the goat-cry, "maaah maaah maaah" His mom was recovering from a c-section, and I felt so bad for the little guy. So I thought, I want to be the person to hold the babies in the nursery! I know the nurses are there, but they are SO busy and they just need someone to cuddle while their moms are recovering! That would be my dream job.


I might like to make coffee. The strong aroma of the ground coffee, the warm steam, all the flavors and combinations would be so fun but I cannot get up at 5 am, so sorry about that.


I had my "dream job" once before, at the library, and the job was fantastic! It was the people who I couldn't stand! The piles and piles of books, the knowledge and words and paper and ideas, I wanted to just sit and immerse myself in the pages. I also loved helping people discover what they were looking for, be it academic or just for fun, the look in their eyes was always priceless.


Dad and I always wanted to have a restaurant. I might like that, but I don't like hungry people. I think starting from scratch, designing the look, laying out the menu, feeding people the fantastic food I was brought up on would give me such a thrill. Really, I'd rather have a huge kitchen and have dinner parties where I could show off my culinary talents. Sliding the food onto their plates as it is ready from my pan, watching their faces light up. I love to make people happy.


When our friend Laura had her baby (and Sara too) I offered my services a few days after he was born. In a nutshell, I visited, but I wanted Laura and Jamie to be able to relax. I instructed them to take showers ( In Sara and Brandon's case, they both refused, then 10 minutes later decided it was a good idea), take naps and let me handle the baby for a little while. It is SO stressful to come home and have no clue what you're doing and be SO exhausted, both you and your spouse that you can't think straight. I got Jamie situated, so he could take care of Laura (shower, nap). Then in turn, She could take care of Hendrik better, knowing SHE was taken care of. In Europe, you can have an in-home nurse on call for you after having a baby! I helped Laura nurse, little stinker was too impatient and it get frustrating doing it without any clue. She called me her "doula" but really I'm just an "experienced" mom who has some skills to share!


I do have the best job in the world. I love being a mom, and always wanted to be one. It is a stress-filled job, with long hours and no pay, but the benefits reaped are more priceless than jewels.

1 comment:

  1. I thank God all the time for your friendship. Even 6 months later, you're still offering your experience & wisdom, and it helps so much! Thank you, friend!

    ReplyDelete

Followers