Friday, March 20, 2009

Mercy

Yesterday was a bad mommy day. Like one for the books. I didn't beat them or neglect them, but they did every little thing possible to get on my nerves and do whatever I didn't want them to do. I lost it. More than once.

I should be patient. I should be loving. I should understand that my children are very small. I lost it. Maddie says I scare her when I scream. Instead of being shamed, I replied, 'If you'd listen to me, I wouldn't scream!' Great logic, huh?

So I resolved to be a better mommy today (real helpful when you don't fall asleep until 4am, then wake up 6 minutes later to a 4 year old wanting to snuggle). So I opened my Bible this morning after pouring cereal and read a few lines about going to God FIRST before you screw up so bad that you can't redeem yourself. Ah. Yesterday I should have put MYSELF in time out. Reflected. Relaxed. Talked with my little hellions and had a better day. Hindsight is 20/20. Maybe that should be Godsight. Anyway, while I was reading this, the light from the window was falling over my Bible and I realized it was a rainbow. To me, it meant God was giving me another chance. God's promise not to destroy the world again after he had already done so shows me even I get a second chance, and a third and so on. My kids still love me. God still loves me and hey, he's got a Son so he knows what I'm going through.

3 comments:

  1. I try to pretend that I'll never lose my temper... but who am I kidding? I'm sure I'll yell at the boy quite a few times when he gets older.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think every mom knows what you're going through. So comforting to know that God always gives us a second chance, even when we're having a hard time giving ourselves one.

    ReplyDelete

Followers