Sunday, March 15, 2009

Rituals.

Long long ago when I was a new Mommy, I had a difficult baby in the sleeping department. She had to be held and rocked to sleep every night. And if we happened to wake her up while laying her down, we had to start the entire process over from scratch. I'm so glad we stuck to our guns back then, because she's such a good sleeper now.

Anyway, Way back in the olden days, we tried everything to get her to sleep. So I tried to think of some songs to sing. Hm. I seem to know NO nursery rhyme-type songs. On top of that, I'm not a very good singer. I know plenty of Dixie Chicks songs, but they aren't really conducive to sleep, more to dance. I remembered all the times with my dad, in the bedroom listening to him sing and play his guitar and wished for a recording. Bummer. But I also remembered a song he sang to us, and had sung to my mom, called "I Will" by the Beatles. Well, I can manage this! Short, right in my range, with the added family history! Awesome! So I've been singing it for 4.5 years now, to both of them. Even Ben knows some of the lyrics. Tonight Maddie asked me to print the lyrics so she could sing it in the microphone with Ryan, so I did, and Ryan requested the Tab. We sat in the music room and sang our song together.

It's really a good mommy/child song. Maddie loves the part where is says
"Love you whenever we're together, love you when we're apart"
and it's a true thing for us, a reminder that no matter where I am, I will love her (them). Another legacy from my dad, and so wonderful for our family.

5 comments:

  1. I sang "Michael Row the boat." My husband claims I made it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great post. I'm listening to it now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although I know a LOT of music, I'm not so good with the lyrics. So when it comes to singing to Tyler, I tend to make up words, but I'm not very good at that either. My songs are usually full of fail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a really sweet thing to pass on. I love it when my husband plays guitar to our girls, too. I think Beatles songs are very conducive to singing with kids! My middle child considers "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" to be her own, personal song because it has her name in it. I think she will be crushed when one day she realizes that not only was it not written specifically for her, that it's actually supposedly describing an LSD trip...

    Oh, and also, the Dixie Chicks have a couple recent songs that are GREAT lullabies. "Godspeed" from the album "Home" and "Lullaby" from "Taking the Long Way."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I did get it from you! Although I couldn't remember at the time. I knew I'd read about it on someone's blog...and now I remember whose. Since I see I posted already about how sweet I thought it was :)

    ReplyDelete

Followers