Saturday, February 14, 2009

Amazed by love


This post is NOT pertaining to Valentines day. It's just Saturday and I finally had a good a day Friday.


Ryan and I have been together since November 23, 1996. We were just 15 when we met and pretty much instantly fell in love. We both knew we were going to marry the other very shortly after we started dating. I knew because I was certain I couldn't escape his 13 letter long last name. We've said that if we had been 25 when we met instead of 15, we would have gotten married very quickly. Even so, we have had our rough patches, while he was away at college (before I convinced him to come home), right after we got married and my dad was sick, but all in all, we are a great team.


Last night I was making some mashed potatoes for dinner at Sara and Brandon's, dancing my way though the "Dirty Dancing" soundtrack (It's so hard to cha-cha when you're peeling potatoes) and I felt like I was being watched. I turn around to find my dear husband with a silly grin on his face. "Uh, how much of that did you see?" I asked, brandishing my knife. "Oh, all of it!" Then I felt self-conscious. I don't like to dance in front of other people! But HE liked it :)


On our way to Sara and Brandon's we were at a stop light and leaned in for a kiss. From the back we hear "SIGH" from Maddie and "Kiss again!" from Ben. HAHAHAHA! It's good to know you're children are rooting for you. :)


Later that night, when the kids were poured into their beds, asleep from the car ride and Ryan's arms wrapped around me, I though of all our obstacles and accomplishments. Here we are, as happy as we have ever been, even in light of a sadness. Our connection only seems to grow stronger as the years go by. We vowed to one another in the early days of our relationship that we would always talk it out. We would never hide our true feelings. No game playing. That has served us in the best possible way. I am never afraid he is unhappy. We are honest with each other if our relationship is not working in some way. We are open to change for the better.


We fit each other in silly, stupid ways. He says that's why we were meant for each other. Hmm. For instance. I left my house key in the house and forgot to get it before locking up. It was a Tuesday, garbage day, and I know that Ryan NEVER never re-locks the sliding glass door after he takes out the garbage. Lo and behold, the back door was open and we were saved. By his stupidity. He says my stupidity cancels out his stupidity. I'm not so sure!


Both of us came from strong parent relationships. I think that has given us a good model. Even though my parent fought a lot, I was never afraid they were going to split up. We have the same kind of love, without all of the turmoil. I've decided it isn't worth it.


On a different note, yesterday I had a good day. I'm trying to see the good in the bad that happened. I lost 10 pounds. I will be able to have "fun" on the cruise. I will get pregnant again, and I will hold a baby in my arms. New beginnings. I looked at Sara yesterday and I'm still in amazement how a body can hold such a small being safe. Nothing short of a miracle.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers