Sunday, February 15, 2009

Church

Disclaimer: This is about my experiences, not meaning to insult any one who have differing opinion.

I grew up in a very spiritual household. We talked about God, we attending church, and felt the Catholic guilt if we did something wrong. Well, I guess that's not quite right. My dad always made sure we were asking for forgiveness from the right person, namely, Jesus. We attending Saturday evening church growing up, dad played as part of the worship group before that was really a popular thing to do. You know, just the organist and cantor. We were the roadies, the equipment getters, the sound checkers, the (unwanted) back-up singers. We knew the songs backward and forward. I can still hear my dad singing "Isaiah 43".


Off track, sorry. Church was an integral part of our young lives. We love to hear dad sing, so we went to practices and such too. We moved kind of far from our church when I was 14, and never really found somewhere we fit in. Dad dislike some of the things the catholics were doing, so he went on "sabbatical". I don't think he realized that finding a different denomination was an option. Once a catholic, always a catholic, or you will GO TO HELL!!!

I occasionally went with mom to a Catholic church, I occasionally went to Ryan's Lutheran church. I didn't see a whole lot of difference, except some dogma things. We continued to go there until after we got married, but I never felt a true connection. I busied myself with the baby, not really paying attention.

One day Ryan's aunt told us about a new church plant meeting in the gym of her church. They were looking for musicians, so why didn't we go and try it? I hemmed and hawed. I was just starting to get comfortable with Ryan's church, are we joining a cult? I'm not even really Lutheran! We went anyway, but I was very sceptical. We showed up a little early, not sure how the whole thing went, and just from the beginning everyone was kind and eager to make us feel comfortable. One of the first sermons was about how a church need three different types of people in their congregation; seasoned believers, new believers and seekers who know nothing. I thought this was great! Church was always geared to people who knew "exactly" what everything meant! I was a believer, but didn't always understand what the Bible was trying to tell me. We never went back to Ryan's church for regular service.

We did go back yesterday, for a vow renewal of Ryan's parents. Ben was a disaster. He wanted to go "play" right from the start. He didn't understand why he was sitting there! Then, the main reason we decided to make the switch. The Music. How can talented musicians suck all of the life out of a powerful song? I was practically falling asleep! AND they were pronouncing it "UNdescribable" !!~sigh~ Nothing has changed in 3 years.

I feel bad for those who do not have a moving experience while worshiping. My aunt came with us to church while we were meeting at AMC and was amazed at the way the Holy spirit filled the room. Soon after, she decided to take a leap of faith and change churches. Her spiritual journey took a left turn when she saw how it could be.

Tonight we visited with my cousin and his wife who are ministers for Campus Crusade in Chicago. (or something like that, I was going to ask them their precise titles, but I kept forgetting :) ) Nevertheless, they are doing some fantastic work for the Lord. I am SO proud of them! I wish they lived closer, but they're being called out there, and it was brave to follow where you're being called.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers