Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Date Night

Lo and behold! A husband who actually remembers a request from him time-starved wife!

About 10 minutes before I started having pains and went to the hospital, I requested some "alone time" with Ryan. Obviously, with the series of events, I completely forgot I even asked. Then yesterday, with little to no notice, he asked me if I could get a babysitter. Perplexed and tired, I agreed, getting Jim to come over and watch the munchkins. It was the COLDEST day in a week, snowing, blowing and generally spine numbing. But he took me to Partridge Creek, the OUTSIDE mall. We went to Tin Fish, where we had some yummy delights from the sea. He also took me to Godiva (link on the sidebar) and we selected some chocolaty goodness for dessert.

I wondered aloud as we got to the car in the blinding snow, "Why did you take me out on such as night??"

"Because you asked me to."

Oh. Oh yeah, I did, didn't I. Wait, you spent your football square money on me? I'm so touched!

Suddenly, all the little issues I had been thinking in my head were gone. It may not have been the BEST night, but it was the FIRST night that it was humanly possible.

Being married is so hard. Pastor Tim said once that it isn't 50/50, it's 100/100 and I believe that. Giving your all is MUCH harder than giving half to make a whole. If one person regularly makes up 75%, then the other gets off easy, but it creates tension and resent.

I complain, more that I should, but in reality I have it very good. I have a husband who cares about us enough to work his butt off. He cares about his God enough to worship Him with his talents. He is a great father, and I should know, I had a pretty good one. Ryan's all that without the screaming. He is understanding of my needs and goes out of his way to fulfill them when he can.

Why oh why is it so hard for me to let it go when he doesn't clean the kitchen all the way? Why does it infuriate me when he leaves the laundry on the loveseat instead of folding it and putting it away? These things are so trivial, why do I go off the deep end? I have never been so rigid about my life that I need eveything done in a certian way, but when it come to him doing things, it needs to be RIGHT. And that means MY definition of right. I guess I have have so much to do that I can't be following behind him fixing his mistakes. Why can't I cut him some slack?

I have been with Ryan for almost 13 years. I know him better than he knows himself, mostly. I know his heart, and I know he doesn't ever do anything intentionally to hurt me. I need to work on being considerate of his feelings as well as he does mine.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Marie - thanks for finding my blog! Nathan got the email from Ryan last week and told me about your loss. I'm so sorry hun. I hope you continue to feel better and get a lot of rest. Sounds like a nice night out with Ryan. What a good hubby! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your thoughts... I got down on Andy today for leaving a colander of pasta on the kitchen counter... I hate the starchy water getting on the counter. But yeah, is it really a big deal in the long run? Not really. Glad you had a fun date night!

    ReplyDelete

Followers