Tuesday, February 24, 2009

A new worry.

TMI Alert: This is about poo.

Something has been nagging my mommy brain for a little while.

I have always kept a careful watch on my children's bowel movements. Not obsessively, but I watched Dr. Oz and he confirmed my suspicions: a happy colon is a happy body.

Ben does not have a happy colon. At first I caulked it up to baby-poo. Then, when I asked his doctor, she suggested maybe he ate a lot of fruit? Yes. Could be the issue. When I took fruit away, nothing changed. Hm. Then my cousin Andy and his wife Amy came over to visit. Amy has Celiac disease. She explained it to me in greater detail and I became concerned that Ben may have something related.

Then, today when he was returned to me, he poo'd excessively. 4 times, all weird, full of non-digested food. Peanuts, oats, cherry(I think). No poo just food. Weird. I called mom and asked her what she fed him, anything different. No. But she said the poo had been weird all weekend.

I called the pediatrician.
Now we have an appointment with a gastroenterologist. Eh.

Web MD (the worst website ever for a mother with a potentially sick child) suggested it could be Celiac disease, or Crohns. Or maybe an allergy.

Please be an allergy.

He doesn't seem sick. Or different. So happy to wrap his tiny arms around me and squeeze. I really did miss them so much. This will be another hurdle to cross. Another worry to add to the list.
Please send some prayers his way.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Marie - I have Crohns. I was diagnosed with it 5 years ago. I was on meds for a while, but have been med free and managing it with diet for almost 3 years. I hope Ben doesn't have it and the gastro doctor has good news.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll cross my fingers that it's a peanut allergy. Celiac disease doesn't look fun at all. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete

Followers